[sles-beta] Question concerning IPv6

Jeff Chapman jeff.chapman at pervasive.com
Thu Mar 28 10:05:53 MDT 2013

We're also doing heavy IPv6 testing.  We've had no problems so far with IPv6 in our interfaces or on the wire.

I feel that the GUI utilities are not all that intuitive.  For example, you have to setup an 'alias' (which is not a true DNS alias) in order to add an IPv6 address to an existing IPv4 configuration.  I prefer separate tabs for IPv4 data, IPv6, data and DNS data.  However once you realize you must use the 'alias' fields, the GUI utilities for IPv6 work pretty well.

We're also testing with earlier editions of SuSE so we resigned ourselves to using post-install logic to setup IPv6 networking.  For each Linux distro, it's a real hassle to get working (especially since we use self-administered IPv6 addresses so we can strictly control the scope and membership of QA's IPv6 subnets) and every flavor/release of Linux has different caveats.

I realize this might be fairly complicated, but it would be ideal for the IPv6 setup to be standardized as a native part of Auto-YAST.

Cheers,
Jeff

Jeff Chapman
QA Architect, Database Division
Tel: 512.231.6548
Main: 800.287.4383
Fax: 512.231.6010
Jeff.Chapman at pervasive.com
Pervasive Software
12365-B Riata Trace Parkway
Austin, TX 78727
http://www.pervasive.com/

NOTICE: All information in and attached to this email may be proprietary, confidential, privileged and otherwise protected from improper or erroneous disclosure. If you are not the sender's intended recipient, you are not authorized to intercept, read, print, retain, copy, forward, or disseminate this message.