[sles-beta] sshd start

David Boyes dboyes at sinenomine.net
Wed Feb 26 11:10:48 MST 2014

> While I understand and support the decision not to enable sshd by default,

IMHO, the only service that DOES make sense to have running by default is ssh (at least on a server-oriented system config). If you consider the non-Intel architectures, you don't necessarily have access to a console terminal (or that terminal may not be capable of running YaST), and ssh IS your only route into the system. Every other service could be started/configured later.

> Wouldn't it be more appropriate to disable all services (cups, rpcbind, ntp,
> etc...) unless they're configured (through YaST)? Is there any real benefit to
> having them on and running by default if they're never even configured to
> do anything?

Makes sense to me (with the above caveat for ssh).  Can't be hacked if it isn't running, and in a shared resource environment (eg, cloud), just wasted cycles if the service isn't configured.