[sles-beta] sshd start

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de
Wed Feb 26 13:03:31 MST 2014

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 26, Dan Elder wrote:

> While I understand and support the decision not to enable sshd by
> default, do we really need services like rpcbind and cupsd running by
> default?

rpcbind is not running by default.
If it is running for you, then because:
- somebody did start it
- another services did required it
- you run into a systemd bug, which is meanwhile fixed.

cups: cupsd needs to be run for browsing capatibilites.

> Wouldn't it be more appropriate to disable all services (cups, rpcbind,
> ntp, etc...) unless they're configured (through YaST)?

That's exactly what we are doing.
On a SLES12 full installation, I have running:
systemd
network setup (wicked,...)
avahi-daemon (that is really useless, but I think GNOME needs it :( )
polkitd
dbus
power management
cupsd