[sles-beta] SLES12 Question concerning update path from SLES11-SP3

Jan Weber jweber at suse.com
Tue Mar 4 02:35:10 MST 2014

Hi,

On 03/04/2014 10:19 AM, urs.frey at post.ch wrote:
> Hi SuSE team
> I have a large number of Oracle Weblogic servers (formerly BEA WLS)
> running on SLES11-SP3 in production on brand new HP Blade BL460c-Gen8
> Intel HW
> These installations do have an application lifecycle until 2018.
> But SLES11 will be under GTS only until 2016.

At SUSECon 2013 we announced an extension of the general SLES lifecycle
from 7 to 10 years. This applies to SLES 11 and for all future SLES
releases, so SLES 11 will go out of general support in 2019.

> It would be great if one could upgrade from SLES11-SP3 to SLES12.
> Is there something like this possible?

We will support migration from SLES 11 to SLES 12.

Jan

> I mean there was already an upgrade path form SLES10-SP3 to SLES11-SP1/2
> (Offline upgrade worked best!)
>
> This would be great!
> I mean “zypper dup” does exist. The only challenge would be changing
> from SystemVinit to System-D..
>
> Thank you very much for your feedback
> Best regards
>
> Urs Frey
> Post CH AG
> Informationstechnologie
> IT Betrieb
> Webergutstrasse 12
> 3030 Bern (Zollikofen)
> Telefon : ++41 (0)58 338 58 70
> FAX     : ++41 (0)58 667 30 07
> E-Mail:   _urs.frey at post.ch_ <mailto:urs.frey at post.ch>

Jan Weber          E jweber at suse.com      SUSE Linux Products GmbH
Product Manager    M +49(179)4573255      HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)
SUSE Linux Enterprise                     GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild
http://www.suse.com/                          Felix Imendörffer