[sles-beta] SLES12 Question concerning update path from SLES11-SP3

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Tue Mar 4 02:37:54 MST 2014

Hello Urs and all,

On 2014-03-04 T 09:19 urs.frey at post.ch wrote:

> I have a large number of Oracle Weblogic servers
> (formerly BEA WLS) running on SLES11-SP3 in production
> on brand new HP Blade BL460c-Gen8 Intel HW These
> installations do have an application lifecycle until
> 2018.  But SLES11 will be under GTS only until 2016.

SLES 11 will be generally supported until 2019, see:
	https://www.suse.com/lifecycle/

Hint: when searching on this site do _not_ hit enter.
It's a JavaScript usability nightmare, but it is as it is.

> It would be great if one could upgrade from SLES11-SP3
> to SLES12.  Is there something like this possible?  I
> mean there was already an upgrade path form SLES10-SP3
> to SLES11-SP1/2 (Offline upgrade worked best!)

See Frederic's answer. Yes, upgrade from SLES 11 SP3 to
SLES 12 is explicitly supported.

> This would be great!  I mean "zypper dup" does exist.
> The only challenge would be changing from SystemVinit to
> System-D..

systemd and friends are among the reasons why "zypper dup"
unfortunately does not work from 11 to 12.

Hope this helps -
so long -
	MgE

--
Matthias G. Eckermann     Senior Product Manager   SUSE® Linux Enterprise
Phone: +49 30 44315731    Mobile: +49 179 2949448    E-Mail: mge at suse.com