[sles-beta] SLES beta 1 installation, partitioning

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Fri Mar 7 07:18:13 MST 2014

     For the n-th time now I find that the first partition created for a
disk vanishes. It does not appear in Partitioner after making the
configuration manually. That is, select manual/custom configuration,
highlight the physical disk (/dev/sda), add a new partition (120MB,
EXT2, for /boot in my cases), and when returning to the Partitioner menu
for the next addition the just created one is absent and further the
real installation steps later discover that it is missing.
     Things get worse when returning to Partitioner after such a failed
installation and we discover that the first partition to be created
again cannot be tied to /boot. The system thinks /boot is allocated, and
yet it is not.
     The next step downhill is restarting the virtual machine (on ESXi
v5.5) and discover the console screen remains blank and there is no
system activity. The likely cause is a boot sector was created but not
populated and the system could not boot.
     I would ascribe this to the new YaST code having yet another
software trouble, similar to the software selection menu not showing
individual RPMs for a pattern choice. Hopefully beta 2 will have such
bugs resolved.
     Thanks,
     Joe D.