[sles-beta] FTP

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Fri Mar 7 08:18:28 MST 2014

On 07/03/2014 15:00, Matthias G. Eckermann wrote:
> Hello Joe and all,
>
> On 2014-03-07 T 14:41 +0000 Joe Doupnik wrote:
>
>> I know that some have negative feelings about this,
>> but there is a failure in the current design. It is
>> the loss of lukemftp (the normal FTP client) and
>> vsftpd FTP server. There is a client replacement,
>> lftp, which tries to be all things to all people and
>> makes a muddle of it. So far neither is present when
>> building a system.
>> To make progress I had to wildly guess that   zypper
>> in lftp would work, which it did.
>> For FTP serving my strong preference is for vsftpd,
>> and it is not present.
> As discussed, we have a goal of "One Tool for One Use
> Case", and in terms of FTP the decision has been made,
> to go with:
>
> Server:	vsftpd
> Client: lftp
>
> If either is missing, it's a bug.
>
> lftp was chosen, as it supports multiple protocols
> (http, webdav, ... on topf o ftp), backgrounding of
> running downloads, ... and has a reasonable CLI.
>
> so long -
> 	MgE

---------
Matthias,
     Bugs there be (after all, we are in beta 1 so such are expected).
     I did another check on vsftpd,  zypper in vsftpd, and this time it
showed as installed. Hopefully this worry will vanish once the YaST
menus are in full working order to display contents of a pattern choice.
     On lftp, as I mentioned it is not ready for mere humans. Try "ftp
example.com"  and discover it fails saying that it could not understand
"open" from the wrapper. Wrapper? We don't need another of those,
thanks. It also produces a meaningless prompt.
     So we type "lftp, then open example.com" and it just sits there
testing our memory to type user foo.

  FTP is not WebDAV,  http, nor a variety of other comms methods. A
kitchen-sink app often does too much, poorly. Lftp fits that description.
     Thanks,
     Joe D.