[sles-beta] FTP

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Fri Mar 7 08:00:59 MST 2014

Hello Joe and all,

On 2014-03-07 T 14:41 +0000 Joe Doupnik wrote:

> I know that some have negative feelings about this,
> but there is a failure in the current design. It is
> the loss of lukemftp (the normal FTP client) and
> vsftpd FTP server. There is a client replacement,
> lftp, which tries to be all things to all people and
> makes a muddle of it. So far neither is present when
> building a system.

> To make progress I had to wildly guess that   zypper
> in lftp would work, which it did.

> For FTP serving my strong preference is for vsftpd,
> and it is not present.

As discussed, we have a goal of "One Tool for One Use
Case", and in terms of FTP the decision has been made,
to go with:

Server:	vsftpd
Client: lftp

If either is missing, it's a bug.

lftp was chosen, as it supports multiple protocols
(http, webdav, ... on topf o ftp), backgrounding of
running downloads, ... and has a reasonable CLI.

so long -
	MgE

--
Matthias G. Eckermann     Senior Product Manager   SUSE® Linux Enterprise
Phone: +49 30 44315731    Mobile: +49 179 2949448    E-Mail: mge at suse.com