[sles-beta] FTP

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at suse.com
Fri Mar 7 13:24:25 MST 2014

Le vendredi 07 mars 2014 à 19:13 +0000, David Boyes a écrit :
> > As discussed, we have a goal of "One Tool for One Use Case", and in terms of
> > FTP the decision has been made, to go with:
> > [snip]
> > lftp was chosen, as it supports multiple protocols (http, webdav, ... on topf o
> > ftp), backgrounding of running downloads, ... and has a reasonable CLI.
>
> Except that CLI is different enough to break most of the existing FTP automation scripts that people have already written and depend on for real production work.
> Sorry, that's not an improvement, that's a cost, and a pointless, needless variation vs any other Linux distribution. That CLI change requires special case code to cope with. And extra documentation. And extra testing. And every time we have to document "do it this way on every Linux EXCEPT SLES12" you look at best idiosyncratic, and at worst, incompatible.

Could you test by using /usr/bin/ftp in your scripts (and
not /usr/bin/lftp directly) ? It is a wrapper, provided by lftp, to
ensure the output is compatible with the one from lukemftp.

This should properly handle compatibility required for the ftp tool.

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat at suse.com>
SUSE