[sles-beta] Beta 2 installation notes

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Sat Mar 8 08:53:37 MST 2014

     The UK keyboard language selection now works. Good. But the text
mode screen has not picked it up.
     Partitioner troubles with the first partition persist, in spades.
Now I find that upon trying to re-edit the partition table after the
system has lost /dev/sda1 (/boot) it will not permit the swap partition
to be deleted. That prevention is not correct, not usable, and the popup
error message saying the system cannot run without a swap file is also
not true.
     Partitioner "Expert" menu is not filled in yet, just a white screen
block
    Upon the installation retry the overall system choice for startup
runlevel sticks at graphical no matter what we click.
     When we are in the software installation and use the Search feature
to enter a particular choice then the search result is shown as empty,
even though the item has been preselected elsewhere (a pattern).
     The same area now generally (except as noted above) shows the
detailed RPMs involved, which is good.

     After installation the GUI appears, not the desired command prompt.
But let's go ahead.
     The login screen shows a personal name rather than the proper username
     Wonder of wonders, the right-click for terminal emulator feature
has returned. Good.
     The Gnome layout is much improved over beta 1, but we could well do
without emulation of that Win 8 thing. Take away the huge clock and its
stray audio icon and the far left systray triangle, put things back in
the start menu (not hidden in an obscure icon in systray), as they were
in the golden age. The changes made between beta 1 and beta 2 are all in
the right direction, and more such progress toward the clean classical
style of yore would be appreciated. Yes, I know it is a heck of a lot of
work involved.

     Trying to escape the GUI, no go. Control-BS-BS recycles to the GUI.
Terminal, su -, init 3 (yes, heresy) freezes the machine. But, in that
frozen state another Control-BS-BS finally yields the text mode screen
(non-GUI). Whew. Oh, do I get a prize for finding that easter egg?
I will trade that prize for a way to define the startup run level in a
simple clear way.

     How does one get rid of the lan adapter retro-name (ens32) and
regain regular eth0, 1, etc?  At present I must go into YaST | Network
and rename the device by hand. I dread the thought of having to do this
for each upgrade.
     Thanks,
     Joe D.