[sles-beta] Beta 2 installation notes

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Mon Mar 10 08:19:03 MDT 2014

     I am working my way through my previous items, not having much luck
but some progress.
     Let me choose IPtables at this moment. We seem to have yet another
change where ip_nat and similar are now named nf_nat etc. My IPtables
start/stop script ran into more difficulty as it references fail2ban.
Fail2ban declined to start and its server parts are installed in
/usr/bin rather than normal /usr/local/bin. Could we put back the
/usr/local usage? I avoid mixing vendor and self-complied material.
     I dug into fail2ban not starting. It seems to be related to the
changes from Python 2.7 to 3.x. To get round that I used the latest
source tarball of fail2ban and that worked.
     In the middle of this one sinks into the systemd material, with
little hope of returning alive. IPtables? It never heard of it. Luckily
my regular start/stop script (/etc/init.d/iptables) works with that
change of ip_ to nf_  and referencing fail2ban in /usr/bin.
     On the GUI. I had both SLES and SLED screens open. For awhile SLES
presented the plain screen and SLED the more elaborate one. As I worked
on the systems the SLES system started behaving like SLED. I have no
idea why, perhaps it is just me. That means my earlier comments on the
SLED GUI apply to SLES as well.
     Clearly a lot remains to be done on the GUI. As commented, I see
hope for the return of a usable GUI. For that I thank you.
     Networking. One regular Ethernet adapter, running SLES/D as an ESXi
virtual. Beta 1 allowed one to remove the unwanted ensxxx adapter name
and revert to ethN. Beta2 does not, and most of the YaST networking
material is non-functional. Trying to change the name in systemd has met
with total failure, and the failure is due to the byzantine design of
systemd rather than the system manager person. Yes, we know you have to
be industry compatible as well as be customer pleasing, so please could
we have sysVinit back as a choice (a la OpenSUSE). To be candid, the
systemd mess would normally drive me away, it still might, but I am
waiting to see how it and my education turn out.  Clarity (what is
available), simple manipulation (start/stop/status etc) per service, use
of many existing scripts are my primary concerns in keeping systems
going long term.
     Thanks,
     Joe D.