[sles-beta] Antwort: question ext4

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Thu Mar 13 04:47:21 MDT 2014

Hello Mr. Heiss and all,

On 2014-03-13 T 10:36 +0000 Heiss Florian wrote:

> Which tools are you talking about? If you refer to the
> Hyper-V ICs they are part of the linux kernel since
> 2.6.32 - since version 10 they are even part of
> Free-BSD! And there is no difference between them if
> you activate kernel modules for hyper-v in version 3.4
> you get the same result on every system. So where is
> the difference between SUSE and RedHat oder CentOS?
> Why is there any difference in the recommended file
> system?

the recommended filesystem not only depends on
Microsoft, but also on the OS they are talking about:

* The recommended filesystem for RHEL 6 and friends
  is ext4.
  Public available sources say that the recommended
  filesystem for RHEL 7 will become xfs.

* The recommended filesystem for data on SLES is
  xfs for ~10 years by now.

As is it known, Microsoft and SUSE are working on
Interoperability aspects, and the SLES - HyperV
interaction is one of the areas which is in focus here.

Hope this helps.

so logn -
	MgE

P.S.: Re-adding the mailinglist to a private
conversation is usually not recommended, but well,
the topic indeed might be of broader interest.