[sles-beta] Lan adapter naming, a work around

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Sat Mar 15 10:43:06 MDT 2014

     Beta 2. As many of us have discovered, the names of lan adapters
are whimsical and not what we want, and at this moment the GUI version
of YaST is incomplete in the lan adapter area. The notes on systemd's
role in this are amusingly bad news; impractical.
     There is a way with Beta 2 to regain eth0/1/etc. Use the text mode
YaST, Network Devices section, go to the Hardware tab, see the upper
left corner menu which is titled Udev Rules (that will be crystal clear
to non-gurus...). Open that, see the partial systemd device name (such
as ens32), erase it and type what you want.
     What happens? Magic. We get the device names we want. And a
70-persistent-net.rules file is created in /etc/udev/rules.d with the
regular MAC address and name configuration lines which otherwise have
become lost/discarded/rejected by the systemd material. Also, ifcfg-ethN
files in /etc/sysconfig/network have correctly matching names.
     Another amusing sighting in this area. The first lan adapter is
described as Ethermet Network Card, and the second as 8254EM Gigabit
Ethernet Controller (Copper). Both are just regular ESXi v5.5 Ethernet
devices.
     Points to those who can find where systemd creates its Ethernet
adapter name patterns. I gave up looking.
     Joe D.