[sles-beta] First round of testing with SLES12 Beta2

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Mon Mar 17 13:44:59 MDT 2014

Hi all,
I have been away for about a week, so I'm just now getting into my heavy testing of SLE 12 Beta 2.  I will admit that with the backlog of e-mail that I have, I have not had the time to read all the messages related to this group in detail.  Please forgive if I point out issues that have already been uncovered or discussed.

>From my initial round of testing an experimentation with SLES 12 Beta 2, here is what I've uncovered so far.

Issue #1:  Can't set default to runlevel 3/"multi-user":
On the installation settings screen during installation, if I select "Default systemd target" and change it from "graphical" to "multi-user", the setting will not "stick".  When I select "ok" and return back to the main screen, "graphical" is again selected.
Once the OS is installed, going into Yast and to the "services manager" module yields the following as selections for "default system target"
ctrl-alt-del, graphical interface, halt, kexec, poweroff, reboot, remote file systems, rescue mode, runlevel0, runlevel1, runlevel6
There is no "multiuser" or "runlevel3"

Issue #2:  Can't switch to another runlevel:
"init 3", "telinit 3", and "systemctl isolate multi-user.target" all lock up the system.

Issue #3:  Something is not quite right with the DNS portion of the network configuration.  If I configure it with two DNS servers (inside of yast), verify that those servers are accessible by the network, and verify that they are listed under "NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SERVERS=" in "/etc/sysconfig/network/config", I'm not able to do "nslookup domain" and have it work.  If I run nslookup and manually look up against those servers it works (so there is not question that the system can connect to the DNS server).
I initially configured this in the tui version of yast.  I went into the gui version, and I have noticed that I can't switch between the tabs (global options, overview, hostname/dns, routing).  It just sort of greys out the whole screen when I try.  I CAN switch between them in the tui version of yast, but no change that I seem to make helps.  Deleting/re-adding the adapter did not help.  I'm already starting the miss the old /etc/resolv.conf, etc...

Issue #4  It is possible that this is related to #3 above:  nscd is yielding this error upon restart, and in /var/log/messages:
Mar 12 19:52:28 ualinux-test02 systemd[1]: Started Name Service Cache Daemon.
Mar 12 19:52:28 ualinux-test02 nscd[544]: 544 cannot create /var/run/nscd/passwd; no persistent database used
Mar 12 19:52:28 ualinux-test02 nscd[544]: 544 cannot create /var/run/nscd/group; no persistent database used
Mar 12 19:52:28 ualinux-test02 nscd[544]: 544 cannot create /var/run/nscd/services; no persistent database used
Mar 12 19:52:28 ualinux-test02 nscd[544]: 544 cannot create /var/run/nscd/netgroup; no persistent database used

General question:  At what point will network setup be added to the installation process?  (Instead of having to change the hostname from "linux" and manually configure post-install?).

Thanks.
Allen B.

--
Allen Beddingfield