[sles-beta] First round of testing with SLES12 Beta2

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at suse.com
Tue Mar 18 02:52:19 MDT 2014

Le lundi 17 mars 2014 à 19:44 +0000, Beddingfield, Allen a écrit :
> Hi all,
> I have been away for about a week, so I'm just now getting into my heavy testing of SLE 12 Beta 2.  I will admit that with the backlog of e-mail that I have, I have not had the time to read all the messages related to this group in detail.  Please forgive if I point out issues that have already been uncovered or discussed.
>
> From my initial round of testing an experimentation with SLES 12 Beta 2, here is what I've uncovered so far.
>
> Issue #1:  Can't set default to runlevel 3/"multi-user":
> On the installation settings screen during installation, if I select "Default systemd target" and change it from "graphical" to "multi-user", the setting will not "stick".  When I select "ok" and return back to the main screen, "graphical" is again selected.
> Once the OS is installed, going into Yast and to the "services manager" module yields the following as selections for "default system target"
> ctrl-alt-del, graphical interface, halt, kexec, poweroff, reboot, remote file systems, rescue mode, runlevel0, runlevel1, runlevel6
> There is no "multiuser" or "runlevel3"

This issue is fixed internally and will be fixed for you in beta3

> Issue #2:  Can't switch to another runlevel:
> "init 3", "telinit 3", and "systemctl isolate multi-user.target" all lock up the system.

This issue is not fixed yet, but it was listed in the know issue from
beta2 announcement ;)

> Issue #3:  Something is not quite right with the DNS portion of the network configuration.  If I configure it with two DNS servers (inside of yast), verify that those servers are accessible by the network, and verify that they are listed under "NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SERVERS=" in "/etc/sysconfig/network/config", I'm not able to do "nslookup domain" and have it work.  If I run nslookup and manually look up against those servers it works (so there is not question that the system can connect to the DNS server).
> I initially configured this in the tui version of yast.  I went into the gui version, and I have noticed that I can't switch between the tabs (global options, overview, hostname/dns, routing).  It just sort of greys out the whole screen when I try.  I CAN switch between them in the tui version of yast, but no change that I seem to make helps.  Deleting/re-adding the adapter did not help.  I'm already starting the miss the old /etc/resolv.conf, etc...

Tab switching is fixed internally and will be fixed for you in Beta3.

once you configure the DNS withing yast, does running "netconfig
update" (or "netconfig update -f") properly creates /etc/resolv.conf ?

> Issue #4  It is possible that this is related to #3 above:  nscd is yielding this error upon restart, and in /var/log/messages:
> Mar 12 19:52:28 ualinux-test02 systemd[1]: Started Name Service Cache Daemon.
> Mar 12 19:52:28 ualinux-test02 nscd[544]: 544 cannot create /var/run/nscd/passwd; no persistent database used
> Mar 12 19:52:28 ualinux-test02 nscd[544]: 544 cannot create /var/run/nscd/group; no persistent database used
> Mar 12 19:52:28 ualinux-test02 nscd[544]: 544 cannot create /var/run/nscd/services; no persistent database used
> Mar 12 19:52:28 ualinux-test02 nscd[544]: 544 cannot create /var/run/nscd/netgroup; no persistent database used

This bug was already reported on the mailing list and we have a bug
report internally for it. Not yet fixed.

> General question:  At what point will network setup be added to the installation process?  (Instead of having to change the hostname from "linux" and manually configure post-install?).

I think network setup in the installer should be back in beta3 but I
can't confirm it yet.

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat at suse.com>
SUSE