[sles-beta] First round of testing with SLES12 Beta2

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Tue Mar 18 07:54:07 MDT 2014

No, that does not cause it to write a new resolv.conf.  I'm going to load up a few more test systems and try to duplicate this.
Here is the result from "netconfig update -f":

ualinux-test02:~ # netconfig update -f -v
debug: lockfile created (/var/run/netconfig.pid) for PID 6141
debug: lockfile created
debug: Module order: dns-resolver dns-bind dns-dnsmasq nis ntp-runtime
debug: dns-resolver module called
debug: dns-bind Module called
debug: dns-dnsmasq Module called
debug: nis Module called
debug: Keep Static
debug: format_static[-1] called
debug: Other: *
debug: exec manage_interfaceconfig: /var/run/netconfig/ens32
debug: exec get_nis_settings: /var/run/netconfig/ens32/netconfig0
debug: exit get_nis_settings: /var/run/netconfig/ens32/netconfig0
debug: exit manage_interfaceconfig: /var/run/netconfig/ens32
debug: exec manage_interfaceconfig: /var/run/netconfig/lo
debug: exec get_nis_settings: /var/run/netconfig/lo/netconfig1
debug: exit get_nis_settings: /var/run/netconfig/lo/netconfig1
debug: exec get_nis_settings: /var/run/netconfig/lo/netconfig0
debug: exit get_nis_settings: /var/run/netconfig/lo/netconfig0
debug: exit manage_interfaceconfig: /var/run/netconfig/lo
debug: Installing new /etc/yp.conf
debug: nis domainname '' is up to date
debug: ntp-runtime Module called
debug: Keep Static
debug: Other: *
debug: exec manage_interfaceconfig: /var/run/netconfig/ens32
debug: exec get_ntp_settings: /var/run/netconfig/ens32/netconfig0
debug:      get_ntp_settings: NTP_SERVER_LIST=''
debug: exit get_ntp_settings: /var/run/netconfig/ens32/netconfig0
debug: exit manage_interfaceconfig: /var/run/netconfig/ens32
debug: exec manage_interfaceconfig: /var/run/netconfig/lo
debug: exec get_ntp_settings: /var/run/netconfig/lo/netconfig1
debug:      get_ntp_settings: NTP_SERVER_LIST=''
debug: exit get_ntp_settings: /var/run/netconfig/lo/netconfig1
debug: exec get_ntp_settings: /var/run/netconfig/lo/netconfig0
debug:      get_ntp_settings: NTP_SERVER_LIST=''
debug: exit get_ntp_settings: /var/run/netconfig/lo/netconfig0
debug: exit manage_interfaceconfig: /var/run/netconfig/lo
ualinux-test02:~ #

contents of /etc/resolv.conf

### /etc/resolv.conf file autogenerated by netconfig!
#
# Before you change this file manually, consider to define the
# static DNS configuration using the following variables in the
# /etc/sysconfig/network/config file:
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SEARCHLIST
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SERVERS
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_FORWARDER
# or disable DNS configuration updates via netconfig by setting:
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_POLICY=''
#
# See also the netconfig(8) manual page and other documentation.
#
# Note: Manual change of this file disables netconfig too, but
# may get lost when this file contains comments or empty lines
# only, the netconfig settings are same with settings in this
# file and in case of a "netconfig update -f" call.
#
### Please remove (at least) this line when you modify the file!

Relevant sections from /etc/sysconfig/network/config:

## Type:        string
## Default:     ""
#
# List of DNS domain names used for host-name lookup.
# It is written as search list into the /etc/resolv.conf file.
#
NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SEARCHLIST="oit.ua.edu ua.edu"

## Type:        string
## Default:     ""
#
# List of DNS nameserver IP addresses to use for host-name lookup.
# When the NETCONFIG_DNS_FORWARDER variable is set to "resolver",
# the name servers are written directly to /etc/resolv.conf.
# Otherwise, the nameserver are written into a forwarder specific
# configuration file and the /etc/resolv.conf does not contain any
# nameservers causing the glibc to use the name server on the local
# machine (the forwarder). See also netconfig(8) manual page.
#
NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SERVERS="130.160.4.4 130.160.4.114"

--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer

> Issue #3:  Something is not quite right with the DNS portion of the network configuration.  If I configure it with two DNS servers (inside of yast), verify that those servers are accessible by the network, and verify that they are listed under "NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SERVERS=" in "/etc/sysconfig/network/config", I'm not able to do "nslookup domain" and have it work.  If I run nslookup and manually look up against those servers it works (so there is not question that the system can connect to the DNS server).
> I initially configured this in the tui version of yast.  I went into the gui version, and I have noticed that I can't switch between the tabs (global options, overview, hostname/dns, routing).  It just sort of greys out the whole screen when I try.  I CAN switch between them in the tui version of yast, but no change that I seem to make helps.  Deleting/re-adding the adapter did not help.  I'm already starting the miss the old /etc/resolv.conf, etc...

Tab switching is fixed internally and will be fixed for you in Beta3.

once you configure the DNS withing yast, does running "netconfig
update" (or "netconfig update -f") properly creates /etc/resolv.conf ?

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat at suse.com>
SUSE