[sles-beta] Changing lan adapter names, get stuck rebooting

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Wed Mar 19 12:49:09 MDT 2014

Fredric,
     Good, let's see how matters develop in beta 3.
     Btw, I have read that citation you mentioned, and even repeated a
clipping on this list as evidence of how wacko the new scheme has
become. I cut through the excessive and defensive verbage of the systemd
docs to get a solution done here, using YaST. Thus kudos once again to
the YAST developers; none to the s-d folks.
     Throughout the systemd learning experience my goal has been to seek
the clear and quickly used methods. The situation often is a server is
ill, it must be fixed right now, services need to be restarted or
revised by hand right now, and we need the big picture fully in mind to
do this effectively, again right now. Similarly, building a server ought
not be a half day or more exercise (without autoyast). There may be new
ways of expressing things, but if we have to seriously fight the system
to survive (which is the case at present) one suspects those systems
will be replaced by more compliant ones, simply as a matter of site
survival. Thus assistance from SUSE on decoding and domesticating what
seems to be a real muddle in important places would be most appreciated.
     In its way this rough beginning has its benefits because we
identify and clarify the nasty spots early enough for them to be
smoothed out.
     Thanks and we do look forward to beta 3.
     Joe D.