[sles-beta] Beta 3, FTP again

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Sat Mar 22 12:52:03 MDT 2014

     More on the ftp theme. Two items here, referencing SLES 12 beta 3.
     First, for unknown reasons the vsftpd server is unable to connect
to a caller on port 21. The error response from "telnet localhost 21" is
"500 OOPS: could not bind listening IPv4 socket. Connection closed by
foreign host."  The identical message appears when using the Win 7 ftp
client to that machine. Netstat -nltp shows port 21 listened to xinetd,
and the vsftpd section of /etc/xinetd.d has vsftpd enabled. The vsftpd
binary is present as /usr/sbin/vsftpd which xinetd.d/vsftpd states.
Telnet localhost does connect to the telnet server via xinetd (I enabled
telnet there). /var/log/messages simply says "EXIT: ftp status=2." I
find the failure to be strange as this is a very standard and long used
arrangement.
     Double checking things. I stopped xinetd (rcxinetd stop) and then
started vsftpd as a daemon (rcvsftpd start). Telnet localhost 21 now
opens the connection (with no local echo of course) and I can log in etc.
     Second, for general information, I went and built lukemftp (now
known as tnftp) ftp client from source and it works just fine. I
substituted it for lftp by editing the yet another indirection symlink
ftp in /etc/alternatives.
     I was going to give HA components a trial run, with DRBD et al, but
with communications and many other things being problematic I think that
should wait for beta 4 or 5.
     Joe D.