[sles-beta] Upgrade from 11-3 to 12-0 -- s390x iso's

Waite, Dick Dick.Waite at softwareag.com
Sun Mar 23 04:54:21 MDT 2014

Grand New Sunday,

Uwe would it be possible to include a session on migration from the grand KDE environment to the other desktop (GNOME). I have spent my whole Linux life on KDE and now having to migrate my desktops from SLE 11-3 to 12-0 and GNOME is giving me issues. I expect there is a white paper, or many papers written on how to do this, but having one which also took into consideration the migration from 11-3 to 12-0 would be, for me and other's in the grey hair group very helpful. I have spent the past couple of nights trying to get some 11-3's onto 12-0 but with little to no success. Network is one item that throws a spanner into the works. Before migrating I always remove the network device, 12-0 beta3 does not like this. I have tried converting a 11-3 KDE to GNOME before running the 11-3 to 12-0 upgrade, that does not work for me. If you try to upgrade a 11-3 KDE to 12-0 the good environment get very hot under collar, so it seems you have to convert to GNOME before running an upgrade, true or false ?

By a very strange coincidence, the "other people" (Redhat) are also running a Beta for RHEL v7 at the same time SUSE are running SLE 12 and SAG like I expect many others are part of it. KDE is alive and very well over there, which is odd as I always that SUSE and KDE went together and RHEL and Gnome were the other people.

I'm now building a new install of SLE 11-3 with *only* GNOME and will try to upgrade that to 12-0, but having some good words from the *source* on how to do this "in-flight" from 11-3 to 12-0 would be *VERY* welcome. Your forcing us to do this, I think a little help to make the task "comfortable" would be a good idea, better would have been a lot more notice your going to do this so companies could have a little time to take corporate decisions.

As I see no s390x iso's on your sites this is still on hold until beta4?

__R

Software AG – Sitz/Registered office: Uhlandstraße 12, 64297 Darmstadt, Germany – Registergericht/Commercial register: Darmstadt HRB 1562 - Vorstand/Management Board: Karl-Heinz Streibich (Vorsitzender/Chairman), Dr. Wolfram Jost, Arnd Zinnhardt; - Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Andreas Bereczky - http://www.softwareag.com