[sles-beta] Comments on wicked in today's presentations

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Mon Mar 24 14:21:39 MDT 2014

     Adding a few more words to my message.
     As I mull what was shown to us today the more it seems that wicked
should be a nearly independent product which could be added to SLES upon
need. Many servers need simple steady connections, static, some bonded
many not. There are some sites which have fluid environments where hot
plugging and whatnot occur all the time, heaven help them, and elaborate
network management software would be a great blessing. The latter need
such a product, the former don't and can be spared the complexity.
      Further on what we know so far. Just what are those problems which
need solving (my place may not face them), and how would wicked go about
solving them? I dunno. What does wicked do today in Beta 3? I really
don't know, but its presence might contribute to our current problems.
Do I need to take a training course to keep my Ethernet adapter and
IPtables script working? I hope not, travel costs being what they are
today, but the signs are not favourable. Should I pay attention to the
alphabet soup being offered today? No, thanks anyway, I know protocols
and prefer plain tomato soup (aka IP v4, static addresses, eth0 style).
The soup offering is really a layer cake plus side dishes plus coffee
all on one trolley.
     I wish the development team much luck in building the wicked tool
set. I would love to help but I lack the environment in which do test
such things. In a year's time the problem set ought to become well
defined, the results should be understandable by mere mortals, the
benefits be clear and appealing to those with the needs, and hopefully
SUSE would make a bundle of money from the effort.
     Joe D.