[sles-beta] Comments on wicked in today's presentations

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de
Tue Mar 25 03:27:12 MDT 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 25, Joe Doupnik wrote:

>     The difficulties to which I refer below are two: the discussed
> interface naming and associated ifcfg-X contents,

Ok, the interface naming is a real problem, but it has nothing to do
with wicked. That's systemd/udev/biosdevname and whatever else thinks
it has to play around with this names. wicked does not care about how
the interface is named.

> and then yesterday the
> peculiar problem of wireshark seeing no packets. The latter suggests wicked
> derived apparatus is not yet ready for packet captures.

Sorry, but packet captures have nothing to do with wicked, too, but
with the kernel driver.
wireshark is working fine for me on all of my SLES12 test systems.

About xinetd and vsftpd: this looks like a xinetd problem, vsftpd does
work fine standalone. Not wicked, too.

>     As for shell scripts, they at least work and are well proven in the
> field.

Until you want to bring up a bridge in a running system for
virtualisation guests, etc...

> Wicked exchanges them for its own scripts. So I think this is not a
> good argument on either side of the problem.
>     What counts is the apparatus works as intended, is understood by owners
> and not least how it interfaces with human managers.

And from your problems I would say: wicked just works.
What I already assumed: you don't have a problem with wicked,
but with bugs in other code completly unrelated to wicked.
That's at bad, too, but dropping wicked will not solve any of
your above problems. It's like with a car: if your tires are
flat, exchanging the motor engine will not fix it.

Instead we need to look at every single issue, debug and fix it.

  Thorsten