[sles-beta] SLES12 beta3 question concerning XFS boot

urs.frey at post.ch urs.frey at post.ch
Tue Apr 1 07:53:21 MDT 2014

Hi Matthias

Thank you very much

> this was and remains correct for SLE 11, as the grub1..
This is exactly what "dr google" showed me.

> Yes, xfs is supported "everywhere" in SLE 12, including /boot.
Superbe!

>Our recommended filesystem for the OS is btrfs though,
>as detailed in the presentation 3 weeks ago.
Yes of course, I joined this most welcome and very informative presentation.
I am looking at BtrFs on one of my test servers and I already replayed snapshots after applying zypper changes.
Works really perfect and in an amazing very fast way!
It is also already very well documented in book.sle.admin.pdf, chapter 4.

I would like to have a detailed look at all filesystems coming with SLES12, just to be able to know "what I am talking about" ;-D
Reason for this is, that some of our application architects like to have /opt for their special purposes (Weblogic, TC-Server ,etc.)
But when using BtrFS /opt should be a subvolume for snapshot purposes.

Best regards

Urs Frey
Post CH AG
Informationstechnologie