[sles-beta] SLES12 beta3 question concerning XFS boot

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Tue Apr 1 08:12:05 MDT 2014

On 2014-04-01 T 13:53 +0000 urs.frey at post.ch wrote:

> I would like to have a detailed look at all filesystems
> coming with SLES12, just to be able to know "what I am
> talking about" ;-D Reason for this is, that some of our
> application architects like to have /opt for their
> special purposes (Weblogic, TC-Server ,etc.) But when
> using BtrFS /opt should be a subvolume for snapshot
> purposes.

Well, yes, but:-)

Even if we mount "/opt" as a separate subvolume, you
_can_ decide to put the whole "/opt" on another
filesystem, such as xfs.

Please do NOT do this for "/var", "/usr" or other parts,
if you want to enjoy snapshotting. For "/opt" you will be
safe, as no parts of the SUSE deliverable should put
anything onto "/opt" by default.

Now, why did we put "/opt" on a separate subvolume
nevertheless?

We want to be proactively careful.

Imagine this: someone would put Oracle + data on "/opt"
and it would be part of "/" on btrfs. If the "someone"
would roll back, the data would be rolled back as well.
-> "Not good"™

Thus the safe bet is to put "/opt" on a separate
subvolume, and an experienced administrator, who knows
what he does, can decide to have "/opt" separately on
e.g. xfs.

Enjoy!

so logn -
	MgE

--
Matthias G. Eckermann     Senior Product Manager   SUSE® Linux Enterprise
Phone: +49 30 44315731    Mobile: +49 179 2949448    E-Mail: mge at suse.com