[sles-beta] MariaDB packages discussion

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Tue Apr 22 00:26:18 MDT 2014

Hello Allen and all,

On 2014-04-21 T 19:18 +0000 Beddingfield, Allen wrote:

> I notice that the packages for MariaDB that are
> provided so far are:

> mariadb
> mariadb-client
> mariadb-tools
> mariadb-errormessages

> Will the package for the MariaDB Galera cluster
> software be available?
>
> From what I can tell, the mariadb-galera package is
> being provided by Ubuntu and possibly Debian.  The
> MariaDB folks are providing a Yum repo for RHEL/CentOS
> that includes it, but it is not available (that I can
> find) for SLES 11.x, in the 12.x betas, or in OpenSUSE
> 13.1.  I've also checked the server:database repo on
> the OpenSUSE Build Service, and it is not included for
> the 5.5.x or 10.x line.
>
> Is there an official word on whether this package will
> be included?  We've already migrated to running
> MariaDB on SLES 11.x (using the builds in
> server:database), and I would rather not have to
> compile from source or run on another distro to use
> Galera.  I suppose I could take a shot at
> building/maintaining my own rpm, but it seems like
> something that should be provided, if the direction is
> toward MariaDB and away from MySQL.

we are currently not planning to add mariadb-galera as
part of SLES (neither as part of SLE HA at the moment),
but I will take your input to discuss, if and how
packages of mariadb-galera will be made available for
SUSE Linux Enterprise 12.

Thanks!

so long -
	MgE

--
Matthias G. Eckermann     Senior Product Manager   SUSE® Linux Enterprise
Phone: +49 30 44315731    Mobile: +49 179 2949448    E-Mail: mge at suse.com