[sles-beta] KDE Desktop not available?

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Thu Apr 24 02:17:24 MDT 2014

Hello James,

I just bounced you an E-Mail (dating 2014-02-27) written
by Jan Weber, my product management colleague responsible
for desktop; he is currently traveling and thus does not
have regular E-Mail access.

On 2014-04-23 T 17:53 -0400 James Taylor wrote:

> I find Gnome to be nearly unusable as a productivity
> interface.

This was true in the past, indeed. However, just test the
SLES 12 Beta5 "incarnation" of Gnome3.  To me personally
(also coming from KDE) it looks clean and directly usable.

> Has there been any thought about what effect that will
> have on upgrading servers with only KDE installed?

This topic is also covered in Jan's E-Mail.

So long -
	MgE

P.S.: If anybody else missed Jan's E-Mail, I can bounce or
even resend it to this list again.

> Hi James,
> I didn't realize you were on here!
> This one got hashed out pretty early on...  apparently the decision has been made the Gnome will be the one/only desktop for SLES/SLED in version 12.
> Allen B.
> --
> Allen Beddingfield
> Systems Engineer
> The University of Alabama

Matthias G. Eckermann     Senior Product Manager   SUSE® Linux Enterprise
Phone: +49 30 44315731    Mobile: +49 179 2949448    E-Mail: mge at suse.com
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH  Maxfeldstraße 5          90409 Nürnberg Germany