[sles-beta] KDE Desktop not available?

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Thu Apr 24 08:45:06 MDT 2014

I appreciate your reponse, but it is an alien environment for me, the
change affects every single installation I've done over the past ten
years, if you include all of the upgraded environments.
The backend changes on 12 are challenging enough without having to deal
with learning a whole new interface environment.
The "incarnation" not withstanding, a bucket of manure with perfume on
it is still a bucket of manure.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Matthias G. Eckermann" <mge at suse.com> 4/24/2014 4:17 AM >>>
Hello James,

I just bounced you an E-Mail (dating 2014-02-27) written
by Jan Weber, my product management colleague responsible
for desktop; he is currently traveling and thus does not
have regular E-Mail access.

On 2014-04-23 T 17:53 -0400 James Taylor wrote:

> I find Gnome to be nearly unusable as a productivity
> interface.

This was true in the past, indeed. However, just test the
SLES 12 Beta5 "incarnation" of Gnome3.  To me personally
(also coming from KDE) it looks clean and directly usable.

> Has there been any thought about what effect that will
> have on upgrading servers with only KDE installed?

This topic is also covered in Jan's E-Mail.

So long -
	MgE

P.S.: If anybody else missed Jan's E-Mail, I can bounce or
even resend it to this list again.

> Hi James,
> I didn't realize you were on here!
> This one got hashed out pretty early on...  apparently the decision
has been made the Gnome will be the one/only desktop for SLES/SLED in
version 12.

[sles-beta-bounces at lists.suse.com] on behalf of James Taylor
[James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:21 PM
> To: sles-beta at lists.suse.com
> Subject: [sles-beta] KDE Desktop not available?
>
> I'm just getting started testing, and when I went into the software
configuration, it appears only to have Gnome available.
> I use KDE exclusively in my linux workstation environment, which is
my primary desktop.
> All of my current server installations have KDE. I find Gnome pretty
unusable, so I'm hoping KDE will be available by the time SLES12 is
released.
> -jt
>

> James Taylor
> 678-697-9420
> james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

> If this is an unsolicited spam message, please click this link to
report it:
http://control.eastcobbgroup.com:49285/contents/spamreport.shtml?rptid=48305&srvid=16vl15t

Matthias G. Eckermann     Senior Product Manager   SUSE® Linux
Enterprise
Phone: +49 30 44315731    Mobile: +49 179 2949448    E-Mail:
mge at suse.com
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH  Maxfeldstraße 5          90409 Nürnberg
Germany
GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB 16746 (AG
Nürnberg)

http://control.eastcobbgroup.com:49285/contents/spamreport.shtml?rptid=48337&srvid=16vl15t