[sles-beta] Beta 5 and VMware-tools

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Thu Apr 24 09:47:23 MDT 2014

Bo Dang,
     Thank you for taking the time to discuss with us the open-vmtools
situation with SLES/SLED.
     To be candid though, there remains uncertainty which I think needs
be addressed somehow in the shipping material. That is, who "owns"
open-vmtools? The uncertainty is if a nearly invisible third party does.
So, I looked about the source RPM in SLES 12 beta 5 for some hints, and
there is no simple answer to the concern. No copyright notice either.
All very nebulous.
      We are experienced people here, so I did more thinking. There are
two interfaces to be maintained in synchronization: hypervisor to tools
and tools to guest o/s. The main products evolve independently. The poor
tools shim tries to cope. The kernel evolves (steadily) and that
involves a kmod rebuild operation of VMware's tools today, automated or
not. Thus there is an advantage to having tools built with and shipped
with the Linux kernel. Best would be to have the kernel and VMware's
ESXi tools work together as they do presently. Part of the reason is the
open-vmtools has not been particularly reliable in the past, and thus I
have avoided it as other people may have as well. Thus history is also
part of the concern.
      At this point matters are beyond radar range of we beta testers.
Our hope are that the present rough edges will be smoothed by release
time and all will be well again with both tool sets.
     Thanks,
     Joe D.