[sles-beta] Language Issues on Beta5

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at suse.com
Tue Apr 29 08:10:07 MDT 2014

Le mardi 29 avril 2014 à 15:55 +0200, Klaus Gmeinwieser a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I just adapt my minimal unattended installation to try and support new
> installation languages.
>
> First was to try Japanese. I replaced the "en_US" language setting to
> "ja_JP", but starting the Installation with default 'English" language -
> it will be changes later on according to the settings in the
> autoinst.xml file...
>
> This leads to many many "sqares" in the YaST setup screens and also
> while installation details of the installed packages are shown - however
> some Japanese "characters" are shown correct.

This is a known issue in the installer, under investigation.

> Also GNOME does not appear in Japanese localization and the scim
> software is not installed automatically (which was done by YaST in SLE11
> to support Japanese keyboards automatically)...
> Installing scim pus scim-bridge (32-Bit) leads to automatic installation
> of 141 additional 32-Bit packages (142MB!) to satisfy dependencies??????
> Also I did not get the scim activated, as there is no system tray (like
> in KDE) and CTRL+Space does not activate it automatically...

SCIM is being deprecated, in favor of ibus (for Chinese, fcitx will also
be available in SLED and SLED Extension).

> How is the status of Asian aka. Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Cyrillic
> based languages in Beta5? (Should I try the installation in Russian?)
> Should this work already or is the full localization scheduled for a
> later BETA?

Translations have not been integrated yet, but the rest of localisation
framework is already in place, so please test already.

> In order to make a screenshot from a different system I enabled vnc
> control with using the parameter line:
>
> autoyast=usb net.ifnames=o vnc:1 vncpassword:<mypassword>
>
> But this leads to a non DHCP enabled network (necessary!!) card, after
> manually enabling the NIC a portscan leads to an open port 6000,
> vncviewer connections fail... (also Xnest, Xephyr...) Also the VNC
> commandline parameters WITH THE PASSWORD was copied to the final
> grub2.cfg file!
>
> Is this intended to work in BETA5?
> I will open service requests on these issues...

Please do !

--
Frederic Crozat
Project Manager Enterprise Desktop