[sles-beta] Language Issues on Beta5

Klaus Gmeinwieser Klaus.Gmeinwieser at oce.com
Tue Apr 29 07:55:45 MDT 2014

Hi all,

I just adapt my minimal unattended installation to try and support new
installation languages.

First was to try Japanese. I replaced the "en_US" language setting to
"ja_JP", but starting the Installation with default 'English" language -
it will be changes later on according to the settings in the
autoinst.xml file...

This leads to many many "sqares" in the YaST setup screens and also
while installation details of the installed packages are shown - however
some Japanese "characters" are shown correct.

Also GNOME does not appear in Japanese localization and the scim
software is not installed automatically (which was done by YaST in SLE11
to support Japanese keyboards automatically)...
Installing scim pus scim-bridge (32-Bit) leads to automatic installation
of 141 additional 32-Bit packages (142MB!) to satisfy dependencies??????
Also I did not get the scim activated, as there is no system tray (like
in KDE) and CTRL+Space does not activate it automatically...

How is the status of Asian aka. Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Cyrillic
based languages in Beta5? (Should I try the installation in Russian?)
Should this work already or is the full localization scheduled for a
later BETA?

In order to make a screenshot from a different system I enabled vnc
control with using the parameter line:

autoyast=usb net.ifnames=o vnc:1 vncpassword:<mypassword>

But this leads to a non DHCP enabled network (necessary!!) card, after
manually enabling the NIC a portscan leads to an open port 6000,
vncviewer connections fail... (also Xnest, Xephyr...) Also the VNC
commandline parameters WITH THE PASSWORD was copied to the final
grub2.cfg file!

Is this intended to work in BETA5?
I will open service requests on these issues...

Thanks a lot in advance

Rgds
Klaus
--
Klaus Gmeinwieser
T +49 (0)8121 72 4358 F +49 (0)8121 72 3173

Océ Printing Systems GmbH & Co. KG • A Canon Group Company
P.O. Box 1260 • 85581 Poing
Siemensallee 2 • 85586 Poing • Germany

Océ enables its customers to manage their documents efficiently and
effectively by offering
innovative print and document management products and services for
professional
environments.

Océ Printing Systems GmbH & Co. KG
The company is a limited partnership with its registered office in Poing
– Trade Register HRA 100955 (Amtsgericht München) – WEEE-Reg.-No. DE 888
05 443

General Partner: Océ Printing Systems Geschäftsführungsgesellschaft mbH
Registered Office: Poing – Trade Register HRB 206480 (Amtsgericht München)
Executive Officer: André Mittelsteiner, Hans Manzer
This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for use by the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a 'reply' message. Thank you for your co-operation.