[sles-beta] Network "Wicked"

Pawel Wieczorkiewicz pwieczorkiewicz at suse.de
Wed Apr 30 00:52:43 MDT 2014

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 07:56:34 +0200
Günther J. Niederwimmer <gjn at gjn.priv.at> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I mean I have a problem with wicked on my System?
>
> I am test the Network "openvswitch &" with KVM and ....sometime I
> lost my Intel dual NIC Card, this Card are not initialize on Start. I
> have also two Nic on Board, this are initialized.

This seems to be hardly wicked related problem (wicked only applies
existing configuration to existing or hotplugging devices).
Do you mean that NIC interface is not present in your system? Is driver
loaded?
You could also check what is happening in dracut. To do so, you could
specify "rd.debug" parameter on the kernel command line to get dracut
logs.

> The Card is OK.
>
> I the Moment I can only make a new Install and all is working again.
>
> My Question is, I can't found the config file for wicked and no logs
> from this Program and Doc's (?).

Here is in short what we recommend to do, to get all wicked logs:

1) set DEBUG=all in /etc/sysconfig/network/config
2) systemctl restart wickedd
3) wicked --debug all ifup all  # systemctl restart wicked
4) wicked ifstatus all > status.log
5) wicked show-config > configs.log
6) journalctl -b -o short-iso > wicked.log
7) ip addr show > ip_addr.log
8) ip route show > routes.log
9) ip -6 route show >> routes.log

In general wicked debugging options are:
1) Command line
  - wicked --debug <all | help | ...>
    Enables debug level and sets filters by wicked facilities, e.g.:
    "all,-events,-socket,-objectmodel,-xpath,-xml,-dbus"
  - wicked --log-level <error | warning | notice | info | debug |
    debug1 | debug2 | debug3>
  - wicked --log-target <stderr | syslog>

2) Global
  - /etc/sysconfig/network/config
     - WICKED_DEBUG=most
        same to –debug option, applied to all services
     - WICKED_LOG_LEVEL=”debug2”
        same to –log-level, applied to all services
     - DEBUG=<yes|no|all|...>
        Compatibility fallback for WICKED_DEBUG, maps “yes” to “most”

Useful hints for logging:
- journalctl: journalctl -b -o short-iso > wicked.log
- rsyslog:

# /etc/rsyslog.d/wicked.conf
if      ($programname startswith 'wicked') \
then    -/var/log/wicked.log
&       ~

--
Best Regards,