[sles-beta] php disappeared in beta6?

rbrown rbrown at suse.de
Thu May 15 02:04:49 MDT 2014

'hostage taking'? quite an emotive way of putting it Joe :)
Without wanting to preempt too much Matthias' call, partially because
I'm lacking all the details, I would like to share a little about what I
know about Modules and why I think they're exciting.
In my past life as a customer, I was involved in lots of conversations
about how SLES was not the best platform for certain workloads, such as
PHP Web Hosting, as the release cycle and strict adherence to keeping
versions the same over the lifespan of a SLE release meant it was
hard/impossible to run more recent versions of PHP on top of SLES.
It is my understanding that 'Modules' is an answer to that issue, a way
for SUSE to deliver specific software stacks at a different rate of
change than the 'core' SLES platform

So I wouldn't characterize the relocation of PHP as 'hostage taking',
but more 'liberation', able to follow a slightly different path which I
expect Matthias' presentation will explain far better than I can.