[sles-beta] php disappeared in beta6?

Olaf Kirch okir at suse.de
Thu May 15 05:04:26 MDT 2014

Hi Joe,

On Thursday 15 May 2014 09:36:38 Joe Doupnik wrote:
>      Without having heard Matthias' presentation on the topic, the
> appearance at present is this is hostage taking. As we all know,
>  PHP is a central component of building production servers. Chasing
>  down -devel RPMs is awkward enough, now core material is being
>  placed behind locked doors. Might someone offer a brief
>  explanation of why this approach is being taken?

"Hostage taking" and "locked door" are somewhat strong words... and I
hope you'll come to a different conclusion once we're talking about
the facts behind these changes.

In a nutshell, SLES faces a dilemma with fast moving technologies.
SLES releases are in the market for a very long time. Customers using
SLES expect a high level of stability in everything, including APIs.
Now, API stability is definitely not one of the focus areas of the
people creating Web development frameworks. This includes php, ruby on
rails, you name it.

With SLES, we could definitely take the approach of companies selling
pharmaceuticals: "Bayer Froozle fights migraine, except when you do
this or that or something else, and by the way if you're unlucky, it
might make your hair fall out, cause your ears to grown like balloons
and your nose to turn green, ..." Just like that, we could say "In
SLES, we keep all APIs stable, except for <insert longish list>, and
we provide full support for everything, except for <insert another
list>."

In some weird coordinate system, this might be considered customer
friendly, but in most it's not.

In the past, we have had a very hard time to upgrade components such
as php. Not really for technical reasons, but because of such
expectations on the life cycle. So what we are going to do is to
create several modules (aka channels) which will be free of charge to
SLE customers. These modules will hold collections of related
packages, and communicate a clear life cycle and support statement for
each module.

You discovered the drawback of the module concept. It's easy to miss.
On the other hand, you receive a strong benefit - which is a regular
refresh of the code base for components such as php, which was not
possible before.

One of these modules will be targeted at Web Development, and contain
PHP.

Regards,
Olaf
--
Neo didn't bring down the Matrix. SOA did. (soafacts.com)