[sles-beta] php disappeared in beta6?

Richard Brown rbrown at suse.de
Thu May 15 10:34:39 MDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-05-15 at 14:47 +0100, Simon Flood wrote:
>  From the little information on modules leaking here I guess I'm not
> understanding the need for them - before SLE12 there was a fixed
> version
> of each package (sometimes two - think php and php53) on the release
> media with updates online via Updates repo or download from Patch
> Finder. If someone wants a (newer) version not available via media or
> updates then they can build from source or turn to OBS. Is that where
> modules are aimed?

Hi Simon,

I think the intention is to stop the need for users to build from source
or turn to OBS - both of these are going to result in a situation when
you're running untested software that potentially could cause issues and
that is hard/impossible to support.

Having Modules as repositories with their own release & support schedule
(separate from SLE) gives SUSE a way of delivering current versions of
PHP and other scripting packages in a supportable way is meant to be an
improvement on the past where these quickly moving software stacks were
all but impossible to support in a timely manner

Best Wishes,
- Richard
  Richard Brown, QA Engineer
  Phone +4991174053-361,  Fax +4991174053-483
  SUSE LINUX Products GmbH,  Maxfeldstr. 5,  D-90409 Nuernberg
  Geschaeftsfuehrer: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendoerffer,
  HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)