[sles-beta] php disappeared in beta6?

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Sat May 17 02:40:34 MDT 2014

Lars,
     Your comments are very understandable. Yesterday I had a
conversation with one of your colleagues about this and his view was
also influenced by having available a range of helpful network
facilities. I approach matters differently.
     There are a variety of views on putting together servers. Yours of
patch immediately is one. Mine is build, test, polish, from the
distribution DVD without network access, and then consider patching. Add
variations in between.
     One asks what patching brings, whether security fixes or "improved"
files, or what, and the answer is often all of this. Security we watch
carefully, but the rest we keep at arm's length until we can deal with
consequences.
     Servers are not always built with nice Internet connectivity, nor
with customer center credentials handy, not with a list of sundry patch
channels before our eyes. Insert DVD1, build, look, often isolated from
worldly contact at this stage.
    The point is installation and initial building must not be dependent
upon any network connectivity, nor upon presence of our black book with
access codes. Further, we (at least myself) do not fully trust those
"improved" additions until shown otherwise, so no automatic additions of
them to a system.
     The second point in the discussion was complexity from additional
channels. Finding the right channels is not easy, and then we must
enable access to them, and so on through a bunch of detailed data entry.
The existing channels illustrate this point.
     The third point is the initial build (DVD1) ought to be as complete
as has been say SLES11. Provide the full release suite, not a hobbled
one. Options, versions of this and that, can be on a second DVD, but
spreading beyond that soon becomes impractical. If the size of Options
is not large then put them on DVD1 as well.
     In fewer words, avoid external preconditions and try to minimise
complexity and disruptive changes.
     I think those are the major worry points thus far.
Corrections/modifications are most welcomed.
     Thanks,
     Joe D.