[sles-beta] php disappeared in beta6?

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.com
Fri May 16 15:52:22 MDT 2014

On 2014-05-16T16:56:42, Simon Flood <S.M.Flood at ucs.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

Hi all,

> Now at this point I can see Matthias going "a-ha, that's modular". Well yes
> it is in the sense that (for example) Apache would only be installed if
> Ansible is building a web server but there wouldn't necessarily be any
> external network access during the build process plus registration is
> unlikely to change from now where we use internal YUM repos as opposed to
> NCC/SCC or SMT.

Okay, I'm going to out myself as probably a total dork here and that I'm
completely misunderstanding the problem, but:

I'm assuming that *any* SLES server that is deployed will be supplied
with updates already, and that - in reality - noone will leave an
unpatched GA/First-Customer-Shipment version running.

*Especially* I can't believe that someone would deploy a *web server*
without patching it, since that by definition is exposed to some client.

(And I have this impression that most *web servers* will also have a
network connection of some form, but that is actually not relevant.) And
I also think a fair number of you are running some extensions on top of
SLES too (of which obviously the most important one is SLE HA ;-). So:

It follows that there is already some way - SMT, SCC, NCC, rsync,
internal YUM repos, NFS network share, a USB stick, building updated
media locally that incorporate all of that, re-imaging from a cloned
golden image, what have you - to provide additional RPMs beyond the raw
media to the server, even if the server itself doesn't have network
connectivity.

Is it just me or could the same channel be used for distributing these
module packages to the servers?

Sure, that means they have to be collected from one or two more official
repositories. Yet it seems that that isn't quite the same as "hostage
taking".

I'm really a bit at a loss here. Why is it so terrible to install a few
more RPMs that come from an officially supported source? Am I missing
something fundamental? I feel I must be. What did we do wrong?

The idea behind the Modules is to allow certain parts of the SLES
ecosystem that are more dynamic to evolve more quickly, and make this
explicit in possibly different lifecycles. And to possibly provide more
alternatives and newer versions for those who want them too. And,
possibly, make code available for which 10+3 years of support is just
unrealistic, but that our customers/partners still want supported for N
years rather than not having it at all. Matthias will explain this in
more detail.

Regards,
    Lars

--