[sles-beta] php disappeared in beta6?

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Mon May 19 02:22:35 MDT 2014

Hello Darren, Richard and all,

On 2014-05-19 T 10:08 +0200 Richard Brown wrote:

> > My "normal" build/workflow is more like:
> >
> > 1. Install server (either from Install media of via
> > a pre-configured "install server" on-site that has
> > the installation media content).
> > 2. Verify that the server is running correctly and
> > no obvious hardware/software issue are encountered.
> > 3. Local customisations/configurations are applied
> > 4. Register server to SMT server (I know that ZCM
> > and/Or SUSE Manager could be used, but that is not
> > my "normal" workflow), apply all "know good"
> > patches.
> > 5. Go to Novell Customer Centre Portal and ensure
> > that server has registered there (it normally is
> > proxy registered through SMT).
> >
> > In a lot of cases, these server do not and never
> > have direct internet access so cannot do the
> > registration or on-line patching driectly.
>
> Can you explain to me the problems with the workflow
> I propose below?  This is how I'd imagine you'd
> accomplish the equivalent workflow with SLE 12:
>
> 1. Install Server (either from Install media or via
> pre-configured "install server")
> 2. During installation, register with SMT Server
> 3. Do not opt to patch during installation (the
> option is presented as soon as you register)
> 4. Add Extensions/Modules as required - will be
> included in the installation and pulled from SMT
> 5. Verify server is running correctly
> 6. Local customisations/configurations
> 7. Patch with "known good" patches from SMT
> 8. Go to SUSE Customer Center and ensure the server
> has registered there
>
> While in terms of 'number of steps' the above process
> may seem more, but in reality I think you'd find the
> 'real work' about the same

I claim that the new process is even shorter (see my
E-Mail just a minute ago), if you take advantage of the
option to apply the patches directly during the initial
installation. That's why we have changed the
installation workflow and removed the "second stage".

so long -
	MgE

--
Matthias G. Eckermann     Senior Product Manager   SUSE® Linux Enterprise
Phone: +49 30 44315731    Mobile: +49 179 2949448    E-Mail: mge at suse.com