[sles-beta] php disappeared in beta6?

Joe Doupnik jrd at netlab1.net
Tue May 20 05:18:07 MDT 2014

On 20/05/2014 12:05, Josef Reidinger wrote:
> On Tue, 20 May 2014 11:57:30 +0100
> "Joe Doupnik" <jrd at netlab1.net> wrote:
>
>>       Thanks for chiming in Kai. Your comments simply reinforce what I
>> speculated about. Removal has nothing, nada, to do with offering
>> more, as anyone can see at first glance. It has everything to do with
>> the people who want customers to use the "more" facility. Thus the
>> attempts at gloss and justification continue.
>>
>>       While here, addressing points by Richard Brown today. Auto
>> discovery of services is basically "designed to fail." One would not
>> want that rating in one's engineering copybook.
>>       Broadcast/multicast are normally terminated at routers, often
>> terminated upon entry to servers as well. A person/box which naively
>> believes what arrives from goodness knows where gets what they
>> deserve. The broad/multicast approach went out more than 20 years ago
>> when MS Windows and Novell IPX traffic flooded our networks.
>>       May I recommend sound engineering practice here, unicast using
>> known destinations. No "Click Here" for our servers.
>>       Joe D.
>>
> Well, we use well known
> SLP protocol ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_Location_Protocol )
> and it do multicasting. If SLP (multicasting) is disabled in your
> network, then you still can pass on boot command line url to such
> server.
      You can't be serious. A server needs booting, and we are supposed
to remember to add a particular chunky command line in the middle of
that process? Not likely to be accepted in the field. Nor will be SLP;
too may variations about its use, and its *cast radar range is severely
limited at routers.
     Long term experience with SLP indicates that it is best ignored
entirely. I gave a Brainshare talk on its short comings and offered a
better design many many years ago.
     Thanks,
     Joe D.