[sles-beta] php disappeared in beta6?

Josef Reidinger jreidinger at suse.com
Tue May 20 05:05:28 MDT 2014

On Tue, 20 May 2014 11:57:30 +0100
"Joe Doupnik" <jrd at netlab1.net> wrote:

>      Thanks for chiming in Kai. Your comments simply reinforce what I
> speculated about. Removal has nothing, nada, to do with offering
> more, as anyone can see at first glance. It has everything to do with
> the people who want customers to use the "more" facility. Thus the
> attempts at gloss and justification continue.
>
>      While here, addressing points by Richard Brown today. Auto
> discovery of services is basically "designed to fail." One would not
> want that rating in one's engineering copybook.
>      Broadcast/multicast are normally terminated at routers, often
> terminated upon entry to servers as well. A person/box which naively
> believes what arrives from goodness knows where gets what they
> deserve. The broad/multicast approach went out more than 20 years ago
> when MS Windows and Novell IPX traffic flooded our networks.
>      May I recommend sound engineering practice here, unicast using
> known destinations. No "Click Here" for our servers.
>      Joe D.

Well, we use well known
SLP protocol ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_Location_Protocol )
and it do multicasting. If SLP (multicasting) is disabled in your
network, then you still can pass on boot command line url to such
server. So I hope even super paranoic networks should work fine.
Of course there can be bugs, but I think general design is not bad.

Josef