[sles-beta] php disappeared in beta6?

Richard Brown rbrown at suse.de
Tue May 20 09:07:06 MDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-05-20 at 15:48 +0100, Joe Doupnik wrote:
>      A short levity break in this thread as all of us could use a little
> relief just about now. This is partly for Richard Brown & Co.
>
>      Mission to Mars. We are on the launch pad, in the capsule at the
> top, one hour before launch and things are looking good. Auto Update of
> systems software is engaged (MicroSoft does it, what could possibly go
> wrong). An amber caution light comes on the panel saying an update is in
> progress. It finishes soon enough to not cause a hold and the light goes
> off. The count down continues. "6 5 4 3 ignition, and liftoff!" Mission
> control broadcasts "Mission STM01 is on its way to Mars at 2358 on 31
> Dec 1999."
>      Two minutes later the vehicle turns over and dives for the earth.
> Oh dear, must be another Y2K problem.
>
>      Least some think this is pure fantasy, see the film Gravity about
> unexpected consequences.
>      Joe D. (ex-NASA)
> _____________________________

An cautionary tale belying the importance of good QA, something which I
hope myself and my colleagues already know a fair bit about :)

Wouldn't the scenario be more apt if it addressed the choice of
installation methods rather than the timing?

Updating 10 seconds before launch probably isn't the smartest idea
regardless of method, but applying that software patch over radio as in
the tale is probably a bit more convenient than trying to swap out the
Command Module computer while it's 111m above the ground, attached to a
scaffold, with over 2.3 million KG of fuel beneath it...

  Richard Brown, QA Engineer
  Phone +4991174053-361,  Fax +4991174053-483
  SUSE LINUX Products GmbH,  Maxfeldstr. 5,  D-90409 Nuernberg
  Geschaeftsfuehrer: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendoerffer,
  HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)