[sles-beta] btrfs & tooling

Richard Brown rbrown at suse.de
Wed May 28 05:53:31 MDT 2014

Hello Christoph,

I'm afraid I can't answer all your questions, but I'll take a stab at a
few that I believe I know the answer to

On Wed, 2014-05-28 at 13:39 +0200, Christoph Schumacher wrote:
> - on subvolume with limits/quota df always shows the size of the
> parent volume also for all subvolumes
> IMHO it should either show the limited size or not show the subvolume
> at all because it's only disturbing

> - also after "mirroring" a btrfs with a raid1 df shows the sum of both
> volumes in the btrfs despite the real size

Because of the nature of how btrfs works, df isn't the best tool to use

btrfs has it's own tools for the purpose, such as 'btrfs fi show' which
shows you the raw disk usage, and 'btrfs fi df <filepath>' which will
show you the equivalent of df, taking into account things like btrfs
RAID, for the subvolume selected by <filepath>

> - i can't figure out how to show the quota of a btrfs volume easily
> and clearly ..... what the common known btrfs-tools show is cr....not
> good.

'btrfs qgroup show <filepath>' where <filepath> is a location for your
btrfs volume/subvolume, should give you the information you require.

Hope this helps,

- Rich

  Richard Brown, QA Engineer
  Phone +4991174053-361,  Fax +4991174053-483
  SUSE LINUX Products GmbH,  Maxfeldstr. 5,  D-90409 Nuernberg
  Geschaeftsfuehrer: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendoerffer,
  HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)