[sles-beta] [ANNOUNCE] SLES 12 Beta9 is available

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at suse.com
Fri Jun 20 09:37:01 MDT 2014

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!  SUSE CONFIDENTIAL  !!  SUSE CONFIDENTIAL  !!  SUSE CONFIDENTIAL  !!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Beta participants,

we are happy to announce the ninth Beta of

	SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12.

ISO images should be available soon for download (replication is ongoing on our CDN provider).
Please go to
http://www.novell.com/beta and select "View my beta page".
Here you should see all Beta's you are part of.

Note that the directory contains the images for the SDK as well as for the SLE-WE
Extension.

We offer 3 DVD ISOs: DVD1 contains the binaries, the second
DVD the sources and the third DVD the debuginfo packages.
The final product will not contain the debuginfo packages on the media.

For installation purposes you just need Media 1 for your architecture.

Please verify the md5sum of the ISO using the MD5SUMS file, which can
be found in the same directory on the download servers.

Known issues (selection):
 (several)  - not all texts are translated yet, but most are
   881676   - runlevel 5 => 3 doesn't switch to VT1 but sticks on VT7
 (general)  - Firefox 30 beta8 is part of Beta8 (Firefox 31 ESR is target for SLE12)
  883500 (ppc64le only): Bad page map in process modprobe

Installation on s390x:
        Please disable the blacklisting of devices during the installation
	(cio_ignore). This code still has a bug and other devices beside the
	IPL device and the console are not enabled (bnc#882685)

With this Beta9 snapshot we have reached several milestones:
    o Continue update, performance and regression tests.
    o Continue intense stress and certification tests.

Be aware that we have provided snapshots of 'modules' at the download page
with this Beta 9:
  Module "Legacy":
      The Legacy Module supports your migration from SUSE Linux Enterprise 10
      and 11 and other systems to SUSE Linux Enterprise 12, by providing
      packages which are discontinued on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, but
      which you may rely on, such as: CyrusIMAP, BSD like ftp client, sendmail,
      IBM Java6.
      Access to the Legacy Module is included in your SUSE Linux Enterprise
      Server subscription. The module has a different lifecycle than SUSE Linux
      Enterprise Server itself; please check the Release Notes for further
      details.

  Module "Web & Scripting":
        The SUSE Linux Enterprise Web and Scripting Module delivers a
        comprehensive suite of scripting languages, frameworks, and related tools
        helping developers and systems administrators accelerate the creation of
        stable, modern web applications.
        Access to the Web and Scripting Module is included in your SUSE Linux
        Enterprise Server subscription. The module has a different lifecycle
        than SUSE Linux Enterprise Server itself; please check the Release
        Notes for further details.

  Module "Advanced System Management":
	This Module gives you a sneak-peak into our upcoming systems management
	toolbox which allows you to inspect systems remotely, store their
	system description and create new systems to deploy them in datacenters
	and clouds. The toolbox is still in active development and will get
	regular updates.

Note that both are provided "as is" and not all packages that will go into them
are already contained in them. We recommend to use them through the
repositories available online after registration.

Thanks in advance for all your testing

	Your SUSE Linux Enterprise Team

--
Frederic Crozat