[sles-beta] Installation under Citrix XenServer 6.2.x

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Fri Jun 20 09:47:16 MDT 2014

So, just an update on this.  Following James's suggestion of using the "Other" template, I was able to get Beta 8 to install as a guest on XenServer 6.2.  HOWEVER, it did not detect that it was running under Xen, so it did not load the Xen kernel, and it does not drop out to the TUI installer, as it normally would when installing under Xen.
So, to sum it up.  Beta 8 hangs on boot if I select the SLES 11 template in XenServer, but it will install if I select the "Other" template.  When selecting this one, it does not detect the hypervisor correctly, and uses the "hda, hdb" naming convention for block devices, does not load the Xen kernel, and DOES work with the graphical installation.

The above is just a general "reporting my findings" paragraph, but now that I have gone through this exercise, it makes me wonder why the installer defaults to not loading the GUI installer under XenServer, even though the XenCenter client is capable of displaying the graphical content...

Allen B.
--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer