[sles-beta] Suggestion to speed up installs/Upgrades/patching for "future" SLE

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Sun Jun 22 18:36:36 MDT 2014

Hello Darren,

don't you think that we already did consider this?

The problem with this approach is that it leaves the
system in an undefinied / inconsistent state for a few
minutes, and if it crashes then, you have a really bad
experience.

Thus we have decided to follow the save way which indeed
needs a bit more time, but we hope that people appreciate
consistency and stability over 2-3 minutes of time.

so long -
	MgE

On 2014-06-23 T 09:29 +1000 Darren Thompson wrote:
> Team
>
> Whilst watching an upgrade/install of SLE-12 I made the following
> observation:
> 1. dracut takes a long time to build it's images and install.
> 2. dracut is called LOTS of times during the installation process (every
> time a process touches a startup device etc, e.g. Kernel, multipath,
> portland etc.
> 3. Logically only the 'last" time it's run is it doing anything useful.
>
> My suggestion:
> Analyse the installation process for modules that touch a startup device.
> Set a "dracut needed" flag instead of actually running dracut
> Get yast/zypper to check for the "dracut needed" flag and run it as the
> last action during an install if set.
>
> I know that probably requires touching some low level install processes but
> I think the speed-up produced would make that worth investigation.
>
> Regards
>
> --
>
> Darren Thompson
>
> Professional Services Engineer / Consultant
>
>  *[image: cid:image001.jpg at 01CB7C0C.6C6A2AE0]*
>
> Level 3, 60 City Road
>
> Southgate, VIC 3006
>
> Mb: 0400 640 414
>
> Mail: darrent at akurit.com.au <steve at akurit.com.au>
> Web: www.akurit.com.au

Matthias G. Eckermann     Senior Product Manager   SUSE® Linux Enterprise
Phone: +49 30 44315731    Mobile: +49 179 2949448    E-Mail: mge at suse.com
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH  Maxfeldstraße 5          90409 Nürnberg Germany