[sles-beta] Suggestion to speed up installs/Upgrades/patching for "future" SLE

Darren Thompson darrent at akurit.com.au
Sun Jun 22 22:44:18 MDT 2014

Matthias

All good points and certainly for upgrades I agree with you, it's one of
the best features of SLES that the updates can (mostly) be recovered if
there are errors.

I would still say that the "New Install" workflow would benefit enormously
(much mpre than the "2-3 minutes of time" you suggest) from removing this
repeated, time consuming step.

I have not put a "stop watch" to it but I would say that between 20% and
30% of the installation time is taken with repeated dracut builds
- at-least in my test ring case. I concede that "super fast" hardware would
not be so impacted.

In any case, as a beta tester I understood my role was to "make
observations" and I still feel that this was a reasonable suggestion.

Darren