[sles-beta] intel_idle

Scott Bahling sbahling at suse.com
Thu Jul 24 06:01:02 MDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-07-23 at 16:44 +0000, Waite, Dick wrote:
> Many Thanks for the update Scott. A couple / few of customers did not
> like the idea of having to amend the boot parm and at the time some
> words were written about using in a later kernel, syscntl.conf which
> customers preferred over amending boot as their system providers
> charged extra...

Starting with SLES 11 SP3 (latest updates) the cpupower command will
allow to dynamically control the idle states via command line at run
time. This is a better option than the kernel parameter. It's
recommended to test with disabling only the highest c-states until the
desired performance/latency is achieved. Disabling too many c-states can
have adverse affects.

> If the parm was not in boot then I think more customers would be
> willing to amend this value, I wonder how many customer get better
> results with the default, do you have any numbers?

I'm not sure what kind of numbers you mean. Better results depends on
workload requirements related to latency and performance/watt. The
results depend on the exact hardware in use as each CPU and platform
comes with it's own power vs performance features and behavioral
profiles. For instance, disabling certain c-states can disable
turbo-boost functionality in modern CPUs which could rob some workloads
of a potential performance boost.

For a majority of workloads out there, the defaults should be just fine.
For those workloads that need extra attention to either performance or
power efficiency, tuning is necessary.

-Scott