[sles-beta] intel_idle

Waite, Dick Dick.Waite at softwareag.com
Thu Jul 24 23:02:37 MDT 2014

Grand New Day Scott,

Very good news, "cpupower" sounds a lot better the boot parm. Could you give me a URL for the SLE12 Docu for this please. We will not change the SLE11 running, leave sleeping dogs lie.

When the new Intel driver bashfully came on the scene, we only run major check with a new version, SLE10, SLE11 and now SLE12, we don't expect a major driver change, with little Docu or readme's on a SP, but now we know better.

The customers found their batch night work running 30% - 50% longer, the night shift was too short... We did work with SUSE on this and got the boot fix. Now with SLE12 it sounds like using the "cpupower" command the customers or in most cases the service provider, in one case that is IBM, can "tune" for best use. When running a "normal" Adabas load during the day with or without the "fix" the performance did not seem any different, it was only running Utility work during the night shift the issues were seen.

http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7011982
The URL from Novell gives an outline of the issues and the cpupower command. I'm sure there are some grand words of wisdom on how to best use this. So with this set "correctly" to run Utility at night, would you expect the daily database performance to improve as at the moment it's switched off with the boot fix?

Again many thanks for the update. One of the customers is not from Neuerburg, maybe you would like to pop over when they have SLE12 running and see your work in a customers environment. I know from my own development work, it's grand to see it running in a "real world" environment.

__R