[sles-beta] beta10 autoYast SMT / CC Registration

Stefan Schubert schubi at suse.de
Fri Jul 25 02:04:14 MDT 2014

Hello,
thanks for the feedback.

Am 24.07.2014 10:30, schrieb Ronny Pretzsch:
> Hello,
>
> I have some questions about the early registration to SMT or Customer Center (CC) feature in SLES12.
>
> When installing manually Yast offers the ability to register before actually installing.
> This is useful as updates can be installed immediately.
> Since Beta10 one can choose a local registration server (SMT) on the Yast gui.
> Thank you for this feature.
>
> Can anybody post a functioning autoyast.xml extract which does exactly this registering in Autoyast?
> (Please no "that SHOULD work" stuff)
> Or send a (public) link to the current SLES *12* Autoyast Documentation?
>
> After registering the question pops up if updates shall be installed immediately.
> How is this question answered in autoyast.xml?
> Again please post a piece of working xml here.
Registration with autoyast is currently still in developing mode.
E.g.
Bug 888168 - cloned autoinst.xml doesn't contain entry for registration

We will post on the list, when there is a working version available.

> I tried to manually install and early-register. The resulting /root/autoinst.xml does not contain anything related to registering. There seems to be some work left.
>
> When installing manually the Yast Registration Page comes before the Yast Add-On Product Page. My question is if an Add-On Product (e.g. SDK) gets correctly registered at the SMT / CC as it is added after the registration. I myself found it more straight forward if Yast first does the add-on stuff and then the registering. Otherwise Yast would have to register again (in the background) after adding add-ons which makes the total installation process slower.
> I could not test this yet but I am going to with manual installation.
I will ask the responsible person for.

> And once again: Autoyast must apply the network setting and the proxy setting *before* registering to SMT/CC. Or make it configurable in the xml file.
>
> As this yast installation stuff cannot be fixed per maintenance update it must perfectly work when releasing SLES12. ;-)
Yes, you are completely right ! :-)

Greetings
Stefan Schubert