[sles-beta] Request for Improvement

Matthias G. Eckermann mge at suse.com
Mon Aug 4 03:49:06 MDT 2014

Hello Darren and all,

On 2014-08-03 T 16:02 +1000 Darren Thompson wrote:

> Sorry if this is not the correct forum for this...
>
> The LIO ISCSI target service is called target.service
> Sadly "target" is an "overloaded" name in systemd
> (There are lots of {name}.target files).

thanks for your suggestion. I agree that this can lead
to confusion.

> Would it be possible to rename the target.service to
> something more unique
>
> Possible examples:
>
> LIO.service
> LIOtarget.service

We looked into this, and it seems that "target.service"
is the name used by the upstream LIO project.
Unfortunately.

And while deviating from an upstream project in an area
where it impacts administrators (system configuration)
is possible and sometimes even mandatory for a Linux
distribution, in this case we think that working with
the upstream project to help them find a better name,
and change SUSE Linux Enterprise accordingly afterwards
is the right approach.

Hope this explains.

so long -
	MgE

--
Matthias G. Eckermann     Senior Product Manager   SUSE® Linux Enterprise
Phone: +49 30 44315731    Mobile: +49 179 2949448    E-Mail: mge at suse.com