[sles-beta] SLES12 RC1Question concerning EMPTY_PRE_POST_CLEANUP="yes"

urs.frey at post.ch urs.frey at post.ch
Mon Aug 11 04:10:05 MDT 2014

Hi Arvin

Thank you for your post.

>Also, per default the cleanup algorithms only delete snapshots
>which are at least 30 minutes old.
>
>So on average empty pre-post snapshots are deleted after half a
>day, but it can take upto one day and 30 minutes.
>
>As you already wrote in a reply to my previous mail the snapshots
>are deleted after some time so everything looks OK.
I was looking to get an information telling me more about the delay to clean up empty pre-post snapshots
So even in the manpage there was nothing.

I think it could be helpful to better understanding if there were a bit more details in some documentation of manpage

Thank you very much

Urs Frey
Post CH AG
Informationstechnologie
IT Betrieb
Webergutstrasse 12
3030 Bern (Zollikofen)
Telefon : ++41 (0)58 338 58 70
FAX     : ++41 (0)58 667 30 07
> When using SLES12 with btrfs I can see in /etc/snapper/configs/root the parameter EMPTY_PRE_POST_CLEANUP="yes" enabled.
>
> I am googling, but can not find when, after which time these empty pre-post snapshots get cleaned from my server.
> I can only learn that there are three algorithms for cleanup in the cron job of snapper
> Number, Timeline, empty-pre-post

The snapper manpage mentions that the cleanup algorithms are
executed in a daily cron-job. When the daily cron-job is executed
depends on the cron configuration.

Also, per default the cleanup algorithms only delete snapshots
which are at least 30 minutes old.

So on average empty pre-post snapshots are deleted after half a
day, but it can take upto one day and 30 minutes.

As you already wrote in a reply to my previous mail the snapshots
are deleted after some time so everything looks OK.

Regards,
  Arvin

--
Arvin Schnell, <aschnell at suse.de>