[sles-beta] SLES12 RC1 btrfs yast creates empty snapshots

Arvin Schnell aschnell at suse.de
Mon Aug 11 03:33:18 MDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 08:55:07AM +0000, urs.frey at post.ch wrote:
> Hi
>
> When having SLES12 RC1 x86_64 yast does create empty snapshots
>
> This is easy to reproduce:
> -       Invoke yast
> -       Goto Software management
> -       Filter patterns
> -       Select "KVM Virtualization"  => +
> -       Cancel Operation => ALT C & ALT Y
> -       Quit
>
> Now snapper list does show yast sw single snapshots which are empty

> From my point of view the workflow here should be reviewed. Upon cancellation of a yast SW installation no empty snapshots should be generated

> When I do the same operation using zypper, no empty snapshot gets created

Yes, the workflow could be improved but this will require hugh
changes to YaST. While libzypp has a single commit action step
this does not apply to YaST. So currently it is only possible to
create a snapshot before YaST is started and after it has
finished. Even information whether YaST did modify the system is
not available at the end for snapper.

That is also one reason why snapper has a empty-pre-post cleanup
algorithm.

Regards,
  Arvin

--